Game Traffic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for games, off topic and popular entertainment.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Smoking v Alcohol

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Ocelot
Forum Hero
Forum Hero
Ocelot

Smoking v Alcohol Empty
PostSubject: Smoking v Alcohol   Smoking v Alcohol Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 1:42 pm

Smoking... Bad for you yes. Alcohol... bad for you yes.

So why is one now seen as unacceptable while the other is seen as social. Why is advertising allowed big business for one and outright outlawed for the other?
Why no medical warnings on alcohol?

Because alcohol companies bring in more cash, or something else?

Discuss.

An article from the BBC.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4232703.stm
Back to top Go down
Captain Arsehole
Electric Badger
Electric Badger
Captain Arsehole

Smoking v Alcohol Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking v Alcohol   Smoking v Alcohol Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 1:49 pm

Interesting fact, it was the nazis who discovered the link between Alcohol and Tobacco, and Cancer.

I think one is accepted because it's so ingrained into our culture, and has been for much longer than the other. Alcohol also provides a definite high, unlike cigarettes which just alleviate a defiency created by the addiction.

Honestly, I'd let my kids drink before letting them smoke.
Back to top Go down
Alex
Social Ninja
Social Ninja
Alex

Smoking v Alcohol Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking v Alcohol   Smoking v Alcohol Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 5:25 pm

I think it has something to do with what C.A said. Smoking has been around for hundreds of years, and drinking has aswell. It's just that smoking was considered more of an upper class thing (smoking expensive cigars with rich people) compared to 'The Town Drunkard'
Back to top Go down
Captain Arsehole
Electric Badger
Electric Badger
Captain Arsehole

Smoking v Alcohol Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking v Alcohol   Smoking v Alcohol Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 5:30 pm

Well not really. Smoking has been present in some cultures for thousands of years, mostly limited to the Americas, but took a long time to integrate itself into western society, especially with competition from drugs such as Cocaine and Opium.

Alcohol, on the other hand, has been enjoyed by everyone for many thousands of years, even the Jews drank beer when in Egypt.

And what do you do when you smoke expensive Cigars? You drink expensive whiskey. Or Cognac if you're that way inclined.
Back to top Go down
Alex
Social Ninja
Social Ninja
Alex

Smoking v Alcohol Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking v Alcohol   Smoking v Alcohol Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 7:06 am

Well, I think I made that assumption because back then, I don't think Smoking was really associated with any lower class things.
Back to top Go down
Captain Arsehole
Electric Badger
Electric Badger
Captain Arsehole

Smoking v Alcohol Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking v Alcohol   Smoking v Alcohol Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 2:03 pm

No not really, most drugs have been associated with all levels of society throughout history.
Back to top Go down
Alex
Social Ninja
Social Ninja
Alex

Smoking v Alcohol Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking v Alcohol   Smoking v Alcohol Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 3:54 pm

Well apparently I know absolutely nothing about history. I guess it's a good thing I didn't take it as a subject next year -.-
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Smoking v Alcohol Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smoking v Alcohol   Smoking v Alcohol Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Smoking v Alcohol
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Game Traffic :: Social News Network :: Serious Business-
Jump to: