Game Traffic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for games, off topic and popular entertainment.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Captain Arsehole
Electric Badger
Electric Badger
Captain Arsehole

Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits. Empty
PostSubject: Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits.   Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 2:25 pm

So here's a thread for us to show of our knowledge of 'classic' literature. By classic I'm talking books that are regarded as being absolute gems, whether they be Tolstoy or Rowlings.

Basically it's a book wank thread.

So, my favourite books would be, in a sort of roundabout but not definite order:

-One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest: Absolutely brilliant book which deals with a lot of issues, not just on the topic of ethics in medicine but at a deeper level on the topic of government interference into everyday life.

-The Beach: A great romp through a thai jungle island with lots of drugs, which spawned an awful film rip off.

-Of Mice and Men: Just the best book for when you only have a flight or some other scenario with only a few hours spare to knock out a quick read.

-A Clockwork Orange: Another book on governments, youth and medicine. Very short, but will take you a while to read, seeing as it has its own language but rarely explains it.

-Ender's Game: This whole series, and the Shadow series, are just epic. Absolutely brilliant books.

So, what are yours?
Back to top Go down
Pookster
Financial Pirate
Financial Pirate
Pookster

PostSubject: Re: Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits.   Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 5:19 pm

Recommend me a book!

- Not an avid reader
- Likes action/ comedy movies
- Also like sci-fi (a little)
Back to top Go down
Alex
Social Ninja
Social Ninja
Alex

PostSubject: Re: Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits.   Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 5:23 pm

[quote="Pookster"]
- Not an avid reader

I still don't get how people that are constantly using the internet aren't avid readers, if I meet them on forums or other text based websites. All you do on those is read, and it increases your reading skill radidly, without you even realising.
Back to top Go down
Pookster
Financial Pirate
Financial Pirate
Pookster

PostSubject: Re: Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits.   Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 5:26 pm

You took that too literally.

I meant reader of books.

I can easily sit down and read through pages and pages on the internet, but I lack the interest to start reading a book.

I usually have no trouble reading it once I start, its just that hurdle of actually picking up a book and beginning.
Back to top Go down
Captain Arsehole
Electric Badger
Electric Badger
Captain Arsehole

PostSubject: Re: Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits.   Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 5:27 pm

Pookster wrote:
Recommend me a book!

- Not an avid reader
- Likes action/ comedy movies
- Also like sci-fi (a little)

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Should be the first stop for anyone that enjoys comedy, or even just a bit of sci fi.
Unfortunately the book is lacking in terms of Zoey, but has so much humour on offer, and can be knocked over in an afternoon.

You can thank me later afro
Back to top Go down
Pookster
Financial Pirate
Financial Pirate
Pookster

PostSubject: Re: Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits.   Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 5:28 pm

TO THE LITERATURE STORAGE FACILITY!
Back to top Go down
Alex
Social Ninja
Social Ninja
Alex

PostSubject: Re: Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits.   Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 5:54 pm

Recommend me a book!

- Could read for hours if found an interesting book
- Likes action/comedy movies
- Storyline/plot must be good to keep me interested in the book.
Back to top Go down
JacK_RabBiT
Dungeon Rat
Dungeon Rat
JacK_RabBiT

PostSubject: Re: Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits.   Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 6:31 pm

Necronomicon- Collection of All of Lovecrafts stories
In the Mountain of Madness +collection of Lovecraft stories

... And a general amount of Witchcraft-related material...

OH OH OH - The Road by Cormac Mcarthy. My New book ^_^
Back to top Go down
Alex
Social Ninja
Social Ninja
Alex

PostSubject: Re: Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits.   Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 4:47 am

I think one of the best books I've ever read would either be 'Deception Point' or 'Digital Fortress' both by Dan Brown. I'm not sure if that's clichéd or anything, but they were pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Captain Arsehole
Electric Badger
Electric Badger
Captain Arsehole

PostSubject: Re: Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits.   Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 2:08 pm

What are you like when it comes to war movies, specifically Vietnam movies ala Apocalypse Now etc?

If you like them, or have seen a few, I'd say try The Beach by Alex Garland. It's a decent length, with excellent characters, a good laugh in some spots and a lot of awesome war movie references that really draw you in if you even recognise half of them.
Back to top Go down
Pookster
Financial Pirate
Financial Pirate
Pookster

PostSubject: Re: Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits.   Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 2:14 pm

Hey, Arsehole...

You'd be happy to know I walked down to the Library and got myself a copy of Hitchhikers Guide. If all things go well, I might actually start reading it this weekend. =P
Back to top Go down
Captain Arsehole
Electric Badger
Electric Badger
Captain Arsehole

PostSubject: Re: Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits.   Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 2:16 pm

You can thank me later. It's a Trilogy in four parts!

Honestly it would have to be the written equivalent of Blackadder in terms of legendary British humour.
Back to top Go down
Alex
Social Ninja
Social Ninja
Alex

PostSubject: Re: Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits.   Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 4:26 pm

Captain Arsehole wrote:
What are you like when it comes to war movies, specifically Vietnam movies ala Apocalypse Now etc?

If you like them, or have seen a few, I'd say try The Beach by Alex Garland. It's a decent length, with excellent characters, a good laugh in some spots and a lot of awesome war movie references that really draw you in if you even recognise half of them.

Ok, that sounds like something I'd enjoy. Do any of you know any good online book stores? The library near me has the worst librarians, and all the book stores are full of childrens books.
Back to top Go down
Captain Arsehole
Electric Badger
Electric Badger
Captain Arsehole

PostSubject: Re: Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits.   Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2009 5:39 pm

If you head to Angus & Robertson you can get the Penguin Classics edition of The Beach for ~$10

Other than that, try Dymocks, they can order nearly anything, but are fairly expensive.

And I don't think I've spoken to a librarian in years, I'm more than capable of finding my own way.
Back to top Go down
juicycaboose
Dungeon Rat
Dungeon Rat

PostSubject: Re: Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits.   Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 6:12 pm

The Penguin Classics range is a bloody godsend.
Although now I'd like to rebuy alot of the books in that range in the actual form.

As for me, Slaughterhouse Five is most probably my absolute favourite book that isn't an epic fantasy by someone like Raymond E Feist.
That or The Alienist.
Back to top Go down
Captain Arsehole
Electric Badger
Electric Badger
Captain Arsehole

PostSubject: Re: Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits.   Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits. Icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 3:12 pm

The Penguin Classics range are brilliant because now I have a whole shelf of matching books, looks fantastic.

If I was going to re-buy them, I'd get leatherbound copies.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits.   Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Let's all brag about our scholarly exploits.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Game Traffic :: Social News Network :: Off Topic-
Jump to: