Game Traffic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for games, off topic and popular entertainment.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Iconic Games You have to play!

Go down 
+2
Captain Arsehole
Ocelot
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Ocelot
Forum Hero
Forum Hero
Ocelot

Iconic Games You have to play! Empty
PostSubject: Iconic Games You have to play!   Iconic Games You have to play! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 10:50 am

This thread is all about discussing those iconic games that just made your life or the world just so much better, or furthered the cause.

-Shadows of the Colossus.
An excellent adventure on the PS2 it is a truly breathtaking game with its sprawling wilderness and grand action. With larger than life foes, all with a specific weakness this game was an adventure to play and is one of the most artistic masterpieces out there.

-Metal Gear Solid.
MGS introduced a compelling story driven action experience to gamers in 1999. While most of the focus was on stealth and uncovering information there are a number of moments when the game kicks up a gear. MGS perfectly balances stealth, story, emotion and action. Consider yourself a lesser man if you've never played MGS because it's one of the most iconic and memorable games ever made.

-Half Life.
The first action game where you play a nerd! That's right, instead of playing some blonde blue eyed testosterone fueled gun wielding redneck who likes breasts... you actually play a PhD middle aged guy with glasses... and a HEV suit >_> <_<
Half Life picked up the FPS from the realm of mediocrity and showed us all how a FPS can actually be something revolutionary. Games were never the same after Half Life. Early in game physics, AI, dual firing modes, scopes, 3D audio, audio occlusion, FPS story without cutscenes and a different hero for once all led towards Half Life's success.

What are some other games you all find iconic? :3
Back to top Go down
Captain Arsehole
Electric Badger
Electric Badger
Captain Arsehole

PostSubject: Re: Iconic Games You have to play!   Iconic Games You have to play! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 2:37 pm

I haven't played the first two sadly, and I actually want to play Shadows of the Colossus.

Anyways, for me it would be

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem. No shit, this game is just the shizznazz. It messes with your mind, has some awesome gameplay and scares the absolute hell out you in some bits, well it did the first time I played it in like year 9.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Doesn't need to be explained, just go play it.

I'll think of some more once the ball gets rolling.
Back to top Go down
Pookster
Financial Pirate
Financial Pirate
Pookster

PostSubject: Re: Iconic Games You have to play!   Iconic Games You have to play! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 2:43 pm

Banjo-Kazooie-

The first real game I ever played from start to finish. It will always hold that special place in my heart.
Back to top Go down
Captain Arsehole
Electric Badger
Electric Badger
Captain Arsehole

PostSubject: Re: Iconic Games You have to play!   Iconic Games You have to play! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 2:46 pm

Oh man, Goldeneye, how did I forget Goldeneye?

Sorry guys, most of my younger days were spent on consoles, but then this isn't really a PC forum, is it?
Back to top Go down
Alex
Social Ninja
Social Ninja
Alex

PostSubject: Re: Iconic Games You have to play!   Iconic Games You have to play! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 2:49 pm

I'm kind of scared as I haven't played any of these yet.

This isn't really an iconic game, but I do remember wasting many hours with when I was young.

It was Kirby's Ghost trap (That's the PAL [Australian] version). It was on the SNES, and I remember the day I beat my brother at it. Such a fantastic day.
Back to top Go down
Captain Arsehole
Electric Badger
Electric Badger
Captain Arsehole

PostSubject: Re: Iconic Games You have to play!   Iconic Games You have to play! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 2:51 pm

There were so many amazing games on the SNES!

Harvest Moon, Chrono Trigger, DBZ Hyper Dimension, Mario Kart....the list goes on.

Also, pokemon.
Back to top Go down
Pookster
Financial Pirate
Financial Pirate
Pookster

PostSubject: Re: Iconic Games You have to play!   Iconic Games You have to play! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 3:03 pm

The Pokemon Blue/Red/Yellow series are some of the greatest game ever to be released on the GameBoy. Amazing games. The whole Pokemon franchise went downhill after the first 150 pokemon though.
Back to top Go down
Captain Arsehole
Electric Badger
Electric Badger
Captain Arsehole

PostSubject: Re: Iconic Games You have to play!   Iconic Games You have to play! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 3:06 pm

What? Have you played the newest ones? Man they're awesome fun. Some of the pokemon are getting a little ridiculous, but they're still amazing.
Back to top Go down
Pookster
Financial Pirate
Financial Pirate
Pookster

PostSubject: Re: Iconic Games You have to play!   Iconic Games You have to play! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 3:15 pm

I've played Pearl, but I didn't like it nearly as much as I did with Yellow. Maybe it's because I'm 8 years older now...
Back to top Go down
Alex
Social Ninja
Social Ninja
Alex

PostSubject: Re: Iconic Games You have to play!   Iconic Games You have to play! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2009 3:19 pm

Haha, I was only about 3 when I had a SNES, so I didn't have much choice in what games I played.

But the first few Pokemons, they were pretty fun.
Back to top Go down
Madcat
Dungeon Rat
Dungeon Rat

PostSubject: Re: Iconic Games You have to play!   Iconic Games You have to play! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 7:48 am

Captain Arsehole wrote:
What? Have you played the newest ones? Man they're awesome fun. Some of the pokemon are getting a little ridiculous, but they're still amazing.

No, no, no, everything after Gold/Silver was just absolute crap, aside from the new pokemon gold/silver were brilliant. And there's like what 20? legendary pokemon now, bet they feel special.
Back to top Go down
Alex
Social Ninja
Social Ninja
Alex

PostSubject: Re: Iconic Games You have to play!   Iconic Games You have to play! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 9:48 am

Madcat wrote:
Captain Arsehole wrote:

No, no, no, everything after Gold/Silver was just absolute crap, aside from the new pokemon gold/silver were brilliant. And there's like what 20? legendary pokemon now, bet they feel special.

Crystal was one of my all time favourite Pokemon games. It might've been because I had an epic save game on it that I'd been playing for about 2 years straight, I'm not sure, but it was the most fun I'd had in a long time.
Back to top Go down
juicycaboose
Dungeon Rat
Dungeon Rat

PostSubject: Re: Iconic Games You have to play!   Iconic Games You have to play! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 5:19 pm

To be fair, everything after gold/silver isn't shit.

It's just that gold/silver are the epitome of the pokemon games, and red/blue/yellow came first so we give them what we feel they are due.
All the pokemon games are great.

Anyway

Beyond Good and Evil

Half Life 1 and 2

I'm going to break with tradition here and go with The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
I'm not sure about you lot, but while almost everyone says that OoT is the greatest Zelda game and oft the greatest game ever, WW tops it.
It takes what was so good about OoT and builds on it, with a quirky new art style, which I absolutely loved and thought added to the game.
Was still spooky where it needed to be.
The sailing was the only annoying part.

Super Mario Galaxy
The very best 3D platformer there is, I cannot wait to see what SMG2 can offer to top this.

Super Mario RPG The Legend of the Seven Stars
Blend of RPG story and combat, with some platformer elements tied into the world exploration.
Wonderful game, and oft overlooked.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Iconic Games You have to play!   Iconic Games You have to play! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Iconic Games You have to play!
Page 1 of 1